Sunday, October 07, 2007

It RUNS :)

I have spent a good 5 hours on the engine today and got it running to a degree. It spooled up for around 4 seconds until I bottled it and hit the fuel cut off switch.


I have spent most of the day trying to start it on diesel/petrol mix and hadn't had much luck. It kept firing but just lots of flame and smoke. I then decided to try neat diesel and it fired up first time. Lots of flame again but then it caught and began to spool up. The noise was awe inspiring with a very very low, stomach shaking growl on spool up followed by an ear splitting whistle when things speeded up a little. It was nearly too much for my Peltor ear protection!

I unfortunately have no data as of yet and no video as my camera is around my brothers house on a lend but I took a few photo's of the aftermath.

When the engine did spool up I had to stop it from toppling over in it's frame as the power was just amazing. The engine and frame it is all sat in is far to heavy for me to lift and it was more than ready to push it's self over. Luckily I had welding gloves on and stopped it when it tried.
I have a few fuel leaks to sort out, TIG welding cracks on some of the CC joints, wiring to tidy up further and to grow some bigger balls for myself before the next test.



Lovely stained stainless :)

No comments: