Monday, October 15, 2007

Propane start system and CC drain valve

I have come to the conclusion that during the start up the other weekend I had a 'run away' situation caused by excess unburnt fuel pooling into the combustion chamber bottom caused by the fuel not igniting quick enough thus allowing it to fall to the bottom of the CC.

SO.....


I have been tinkering in the shed again this evening and found what I think may be the answer to my starting system problem. I have taken a video of what it is and how it's too work, below. It's a cold start (choke start) solenoid spray valve from a Ford engine. It's been sat in my 'fuel bit's' draw for ages and it just caught my eye as I was ferreting through earlier. If I add low pressure propane to the fuel in end and supply 12vdc to it it has a lovely wide spray of propane emit from the end. I have decided to fit it right next to the igniter plug so it sticks into the CC side wall and sprays more or less straight onto the plug. The 12v supply to the said solenoid will be taken from the igniter feed so that whenever the igniter is excited, so is the gas valve thus firing any liquid fuel almost instantaneously.


I have also found that I can indeed find enough room to drill a drain valve into the base of the CC ( upon looking the other day it didn't occur to me that I could remove bit's to gain access) I removed the CC to turbo piping and there is enough room there to enable me to get a drill and my TIG welder in. I shall have a right angle bend straight onto the CC and then after a short bit of pipe (to alleviate heat damage) into a 12v solenoid valve. When ever I need to drain the CC it's just a case of pressing a button on the control panel.

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/smogthemog/GasNozz.wmv (15Mb)

Picture below of the bottom of the CC with just enough room to drill and TIG a drain valve (with the piping removed) :)


No comments: